Sunday, April 1, 2007

Windows Explorer 101

There are two Explorer programs running on your computer - an Internet Explorer that you use to view the Internet (and are using right now) and the Windows Explorer that shows all the files on your hard disk. Perhaps you know it simply as Explorer.

There are literally thousands of files sitting on your hard disk, even when computer is brand new - there is an Operating System, drivers, Office, etc. If you pile all the files in one place you will never know which file belongs to which program. The solution of course is to separate files into different folders (also called directories). For example most of the programs are located in the Program Files folder, and most of your documents are located in My Documents folder.

Windows Explorer helps you find and organize your files. You probably already have one or more icons on your Desktop (Desktop is your screen when you start the computer) that look like a folder - you can double-click any of them to start the Explorer. Better yet I will show how to find the Explorer at any time: Right-click the Start button in the lower left corner. Be sure to use the right button on your mouse - it opens a little menu. Second item on that menu is Explorer - click it with your Left button (the Right button opens the menu and the Left button opens the program).

Scroll around, see how your hard disk is organized with different folders. Click on little "+' signs - this opens a new list of files and folders underneath the current one. Find My Documents directory (folder) and the Program Files.

5 comments:

Moochie said...

Thanks. I'll have questions once I start to use Internet Explorer and have problems. I signed in on Blogger Dashboard and went to Blog.
My user name is my email address. I made Blogger Dashboard a favorite. My Blogger display name is Moochie. As of now I can send and receive. Whew!

Moochie

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Charter. I must say man this is great work my Brother. I jumpted in before not really taking the time to read or study the "how to" parts of this system. It just doesn't work that way all the time. I think I got it togather now, (I think) Please just let me know where and how I can send any donations to help in this grest work. I'll be keeping in touch and I will be getting back with my good firend Moochie. Thanks guys. May The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

tgf said...

Thanks Youngblood, and welcome to the Computer Help blog. From your question I assume you can answer any hardware questions the players have - that would be your donation to the cause.

Anonymous said...

Anytime Charter. I'll do the best I can. And thanks again.

PSA 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in
safety.

Shotgun said...

I believe youngblood can be an asset to this group.