Friday, April 13, 2007

Print Screen

Our introductory class is coming to an end with a Print Screen lesson http://checkersusa.com/help/internet/printscreen.htm which you can reach by clicking on the link or by going to the Lessons Page link located right under the Tag Board on your right - you can even click the words LESSONS PAGE in the title of the blog - I wonder if anyone discovered that before?

The Print Screen lesson combines all the previous lessons together plus you will learn a very useful trick to print what's on the screen. Those who complete the assignment (which is of course to print a couple of screens) and report the completion on the blog or on the Easy Talk Tag board will get credit for Copy/Paste and Saving Pictures assignments as well.

The goal of reporting your progress is obvious - without this I would not know if you were ready for the more complicated lessons. And of course without your questions I would not know what's troubling you - even a little problem can stop one from going further.

Imagine I keep talking about how to use Tdam while you got stuck on the words "download" and "install". What would be the point of me going on thinking you were with me because you never told me to stop and help you install the software first?

This is the whole point of this site - for you to ask explain things. For those who wish to learn simply by reading there are literary hundreds if not thousands of sites offering free computer help. Here is very nice one to get you started http://www.sangrea.net/newcomputerhelp/

For those who want to study in more details here are some more links:
http://www.computerhope.com/oh.htm
http://www.help2go.com/public/index.php
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/newuserresources.mspx
http://www.pcshowandtell.com/
http://www.cert.org/homeusers/

The Tdam of course has a wonderful help pages in English - so go ahead and study those at http://www.turbodambase.com/eng/home.html - you really do not need me to regurgitate the same information.

But for those who need step-by-step lead-by-hand type of instructions I need to make sure they hear what I say and could follow the directions. To ensure that they need to give me the feedback, to let me gauge if they are in-tune with the lesson. Moochie proved the importance of doing the exercises and giving feedback, only after he did that several times he realized he was not following the directions.

So to repeat - you want to learn on your own - go ahead, there are plenty of links above to get you started. But to get help on this blog you need to actively participate, ask questions, do the exercises and report on your progress.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This what I clicked and got. Start, My Documents, File, New, (Folder, Shortcut, Briefcase, Bitmap Image, Microsoft Access Application. Open Document Drawing, Open Document Drawing, Open Document Presentation, Open Document Spreadsheet, Open Document Text, Text Document, Wav File) ??????????

tgf said...

One thing at the time - what did you click?

tgf said...

I believe you were trying to create a new Word file, right?
There are many ways to open one, in your way it was probably Open Document Text, though I can not be sure as my computer does not offer the same choices. The instruction in the article was different from what you have tried - it says there to
1. Click Start (bottom left button on your terminal), there click on All Programs, and there click Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel.

It is possible that you do not see MS Word option - sometimes it is hiding under the Microsoft Office menu. I can suggest a simpler way - open any Word document in your My Document directory and in there click File/New ! That's a lot easier. Keep me informed.

Anonymous said...

Under open Word or Excel files #1 worked. I tried #2. I used the sequence under moochie said. The (Folder, Shortcut etc) came up when I clicked New. I was just trying a new way.

tgf said...

Great! There are always different ways to do the same thing, like driving from home to work, club, etc. - you know you can take a different route to get there.

Now do the Alt-PrintScreen test.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I've been fixing my house this week. When I finish I'll be more involved and have more questions. I Have to transfer my service to that house once it's finished. I might be missing a few days. As Tal would say, keep the faith. I'll be back asap.

moochie

Anonymous said...

Test Test